That is the original LOVE sculpture! It resides in the Love Park in Philadelphia, PA. It is one of a few reminders that this is the city that William Penn envisioned as a new start to society, religious freedom and a decent civilization. The city of "Brotherly Love".
The land was given to Penn because the King of England owed his father a great debt that the King couldn't pay - so he gave William - Land - in the colony ! Little did the King know that he had sown the seeds of a soon to become new - independent nation.
I had the wonderful opportunity to explore Philadelphia and to visit so many historical as well as infamous locations in the city. I have had a difficult time starting this blog because in two and a half days here is what I did....in general and not in sequence::
1. One Liberty Observation Deck
2. Big Bus - Hop on - Hop Off ! (Thanks Mike - great tour)
3 .Christ Church - founded in 1695
4. Independence Mall
5. Betsy Ross House
6. Elfreth's Alley
7. City Tavern
8. National Constitution Center
9. Independence Hall Tour with the National Park Service
10. Philadelphia Museum of Art
11. "Rocky" Statue
12. Rodin Musem
13. Barnes Foundation
14. Basilica of St. Peter and St. Paul
15. Franklin Institute Science Museum
16. American Philosophical Society
17. Federal Reserve - Money in Motion Exhibit
18. Christ Church Burial Grounds - Resting Site of Benjamin and Deborah Franklin and other signers of the Declaration of Independence and/or Constitution
19. City Hall - Beautiful
20. Eastern State Penitentiary (Amazing - sad)
21. Joan of Arch Statue
22. George Washington Statue
23. Reading Terminal Market
24. Irish Pub
25. Finn McCool's Ale House
26. Monk's Cafe - Best Beer Bar in America !
27...........bad Philly Cheesesteak ! I won't tell where...well maybe I will!
I covered over 20 miles in hot - humid - eastern summer weather - and it was a grand tour.
SO I have decided to simply share over the next few days - just pieces of my visit. I am not a tour guide but I will mention the things that moved me......and when you visit Philly - maybe I will mention something new you haven't seen..... or then again - maybe something you might want to revisit with the curiosity of the first time ! More to come ~
BK Travel Tips
To enjoy travel and see the world and often yourself as if for the first time and with with the eyes of a young child.